Recently, we conducted a poll on LinkedIn to better understand what job seekers value most when choosing their next employer. We gathered responses from a diverse group of 63 professionals to give us insights into what employees are looking for in today’s evolving job market. The results offer an opportunity for companies to re-evaluate and reshape their strategies to attract top-tier talent.
Breaking down the results:
- Competitive salary & benefits (41%): It’s no surprise that salary and benefits remain significant. Job seekers are increasingly aware of their value and the need for salary and benefits that matches their skills and efforts. Therefore, companies should conduct regular industry comparisons to ensure their compensation packages remain competitive and commensurate with the expertise and commitment they demand.
- Growth & development (30%): The modern workforce isn’t solely driven by monetary gain; they seek opportunities for personal and professional growth. This means that employers must actively invest in their team’s development through ongoing learning and career advancement opportunities. Consider implementing mentorship programs, on-the-job training, and educational support to showcase your commitment to employee growth.
- Flexible work arrangements (22%): The traditional 9-to-5 is increasingly becoming a relic of the past. Today’s professionals are seeking work-life balance through flexible work arrangements, including remote work, flexible hours, and hybrid work models. Companies should take note and explore such arrangements where feasible, taking care to ensure productivity and team dynamics are maintained.
- DEI (6%): While this figure may seem low, it’s important to remember this poll represents the views of 63 individuals and not the broader workforce. We know from wider studies that an inclusive environment is high on the priority list for many job seekers. In fact, research consistently highlights the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) for both the employees and the overall health of the organisation. It’s more than just a feel-good initiative; it’s about creating a workplace that values different perspectives and experiences, fostering creativity, and driving innovation.
The results from our LinkedIn poll emphasise the dynamic nature of job seekers’ expectations and the importance for companies to stay ahead of these trends. Companies need to look beyond the traditional offerings and take into consideration these changing values if they want to attract and retain the best talent. With a commitment to competitive compensation, employee development, flexible work arrangements, and a diverse and inclusive culture, employers will be well on their way to creating workplaces that resonate with today’s job seekers.
Knowing these priorities, companies can devise strategies to attract and retain top talent. Here are some recommendations:
- Conduct regular salary and benefits reviews to ensure your packages are competitive.
- Create and promote a strong professional development program that supports your employees’ career growth.
- Implement flexible work policies where possible and ensure clear communication of these policies to potential employees.
- Invest in DEI initiatives and ensure these efforts are transparent and communicated clearly. This could involve diversity hiring goals, mentorship programs for underrepresented employees, unconscious bias training, and more.
We have repeatedly talked about these in our Coffee Mornings episodes. Watch the episodes to learn more.